DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT JOB DESCRIPTION
Miller Theatre Advisory Board, Inc. (MTAB) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that administers grants for the City of Houston to not-for-profit arts organizations and community groups that perform at Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park. Additionally, MTAB presents a number of national and international touring artists/attractions and films at Miller during the performance season. All performances at the venue are presented to the public free of charge.
In addition to the 21-member volunteer Board, MTAB has a professional staff of four – Managing Director, Director of Finance & Operations, Director of Development and Marketing Coordinator – that directs and administers the Grants and Presented programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Development leads the implementation of all fundraising activities to fulfill the mission of Miller Theatre Advisory Board. In consultation with the Managing Director and Board of Directors, the Director of Development creates and implements a fundraising plan encompassing foundation and government grants, corporate partnerships and sponsorships, individual giving and annual fund appeals, Board giving and stewardship, and special events.
Institutional Development Duties
• Maintain a comprehensive development calendar of institutional solicitations and reporting deadlines pertaining to corporate sponsorships, foundation grants and government grants for the fiscal year.
• Seek, develop, and submit foundation and government grant proposals. Research and determine new donor prospects. Encourage and coordinate involvement of board members in donor engagement efforts.
• Ensure required reports to foundations and government grantors are completed and submitted per grant guidelines and contracts.
• Work with corporate partners to create a sponsorship benefit package that meets their needs.
• Ensure fulfillment of sponsorship benefits with corporate partners, including opportunities for client/customer entertainment, on-site presence at performances, banners and signage and online exposure.
Board Development Duties
• Assist Board members in fulfilling Board service expectations regarding fundraising: prospect identification, stewardship, gift solicitations, performance attendance, and personal contributions.
• Provide development status reports at meetings of the executive committee and Board
• Coordinate activities of the Board Development Committee
Individual Donors / Annual Fund / Special Event Duties
• With help from Board, identify and quantify donor prospects to cultivate for support.
• Create and manage online giving platform through Network for Good
• Manage text-to-give donation appeals program for on-site performances
• Plan and implement special annual fundraising campaigns like Giving Tuesday
• Host donor prospects at performances as needed
• With Managing Director, implement major special event fundraisers and other development events
• With guidance and assistance from special events chairpersons, solicit underwriting support from institutional and individual donor prospects
Development / Data Administration Duties
• Regularly maintain accurate donor database in Network for Good, keeping detailed records of all donor actions and transactions
• Ensure donors are thanked promptly and that acknowledgement of contributions receipts are mailed in a timely manner
• Manage filing system for institutional and individual donations
• Attend all staff and Board meetings and events
• Adhere to policies and procedures
• Represent Miller Theatre Advisory Board and embody its Core Values
• Perform all other duties as assigned by the Managing Director
Bachelors’ Degree. 5+ years development experience, preferably in the Performing Arts with a demonstrated record of success and strong knowledge of development functions including annual giving, grants, corporate sponsorship, stewardship and development operations. Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office, and other industry standard design software. Familiarity with network for Good or other donor management software, website content management systems a plus. Position requires a self-motivated individual with excellent persuasive communication and writing skills and ability to work under pressure. Must be flexible in hours to work evenings and weekends and be prepared to work overtime when necessary.
Salary: Exempt, Full Time, 40 hours/week; Commensurate with Experience and Education.
Benefits: Medical/Dental benefits and employer contributions toward 403(b) retirement plan included.
Work Schedule: Mon. – Fri., 8:30am to 5:30pm, and some evenings and weekend hours as required.
Miller Theatre Advisory Board is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job-related disability of marital status.
Name: Reg Burns
No phone calls, please.